Walters State education majors having contact with or who are in proximity to children related to classroom (service learning, etc) are required to undergo a criminal background check and fingerprint search prior to placement.
Criminal Background Investigation
Student Background Investigation and Fingerprint Instructions
Background Investigations are completed, on average, within 3 to 5 business days through truescreen . Once completed, you will receive an email from Truescreen, firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow the link in the email to access Application Station: Student Edition to view the report. To access the site use the same username and password created at the time you submitted your background check. Application Station includes instructions for disputing information included in the background check should you feel anything is incorrect.
The initial background investigation consists of the search components listed below. All records are searched by primary name and all AKAs, a student's primary address, and all addresses lived within the past seven years.
- Social Security Number Validation and Verification
- National Sexual Offender Registry Search
- Fingerprinting – Instructions for fingerprinting are found on the final page of www.ApplicationStation.com. You must click the link titled "WALTERS STATE PRE-TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAM INDENTGO FINGERPRINT INSTRUCTIONS".
The total cost of the Background Investigation, including storage of the fingerprint results is $20.50. (NOTE – you will be required to pay a separate fee for fingerprinting. The separate fee is a processing fee assessed by the State of Tennessee.) Truescreen accepts credit cards and PayPal. Payment is collected within ApplicationStation: Student Edition.
Authorize a Background Investigation
Below are step-by-step instructions for accessing Application Station: Student Edition to authorize and pay for a background investigation.
- Visit Application Station
- Enter the Code: WSCCPTE-CBC in the Application Station Code field.
- Click the "SIGN UP NOW" button to create an account.
- Follow the instructions on the Application Station web site.
Note – please store the username and password created for Application Station in a secure location. This information is needed to enter Application Station in the future which includes obtaining a copy of your background investigation report.
If you encounter issues with the Application Station: Student Edition or have questions regarding the site, please contact Truescreen's Help Desk at 888-276-8518, ext. 2006 or email@example.com.
Fingerprinting Registration Directions
Fingerprinting Registration Directions
- Register online with IDENTGO (phone: 855-226-2937).
- Click on Tennessee in the map and then click on "Online Scheduling". Choose your language of choice.
- Enter your name in the boxes, making sure to use your legal name.
- Choose "Non-DCS Child Care / Adoption Providers" for Agency Name.
- For Applicant Type, choose "Child-Related Worker (Private)."
- Enter Walters State Community College's ORI number
It should ask you if you want to be fingerprinted for Walter State Pre-Teacher Education Program if you entered the ORI correctly.
- Enter your zip code to find the nearest fingerprinting location near you and to schedule an appointment. There are locations in Morristown, Rogersville, Tazewell, and many others. Fingerprinting is done by appointment only.
- Provide your personal identification information.
- In the next screen, verify the following information: Agency Name (Non-DCS Child Care/Adoption Providers), ORI Number (TNCC52014-Walters State Pre-Teacher Education Program), and Applicant Type (Child-Related Worker (Private)). Check your appointment details and personal information for accuracy.
- Payment is determined at registration. You may pay by credit card, debit card, or e-check online or you may take a money order or cashier's check to the location on the day of your appointment.
On the day of your appointment:
- TAKE A VALID PHOTO ID WITH YOU WHEN YOU GO TO BE PRINTED. Make sure to arrive on time. The Enrollment Officer at the fingerprinting site will check your ID, verify your information, verify or collect payment, capture your fingerprints, and submit your data. This normally takes less than 5 minutes.
- You will receive a signed receipt at the end of your fingerprinting session. This is your proof of fingerprinting. Bring your receipt to your instructor. DO NOT FORGET YOUR RECEIPT IT IS YOUR ONLY PROOF OF FINGERPRINTING.
Please be prepared to provide the following personal identification information at the fingerprinting location:
- Applicant's Legal Name
- Alias or Maiden Name
- Home Address
- Methods of Contact
- Demographic Data (make sure to enter your birthday without slashes or hyphens)
- Employer name and address:
- Walters State Community College – Pre-Teacher Education Program
500 South Davy Crockett Parkway
Morristown, TN 37813-6899