Student Advising Information
Step 2: Meet with an Advisor / Counselor
Meet with an advisor/counselor in the Student Success Center for a pre-advising session
Step 3: Decide on your Major
Step 4: Get Familiar with Course Requirements & Prerequisites
- Take developmental courses first
- use the catalog website to check course descriptions
- Be knowledgeable of prerequisites - a course taken prior to another course.
- Ask your advisor about course sequencing and when certain courses are offered
Step 5: Find the Curriculum for your Major
Step 6: Meet with your Advisor
Contact the secretary for the department in which the major is located to schedule an advising appointment
Academic departments and contact information
- During the advising appointment, plan the courses you will take and the order in which they will be taken
- Talk to your advisor about what you can expect with this major - areas of study
If you need further assistance, please visit or call
Admissions at 423.585.2686 or 1.800.225.4770, Extension 6.
Step 7: Schedule your First Semester Courses
Stick with the basics for your first semester
- Take ENGL 0803, ENGL 0804 and 1010, or take ENGL 1010 depending on your placement based on test scores.
- Take READ 0801 and/or READ 0802 if required.
- MATH 0801-0805 if needed or MATH 1530 or 1630 if no learning support is needed.
- Social Science elective like PSYC 1030 or SOCI 1010.
- Humanities elective like ARTH 2010, 2020, MUS 1030 or THEA 1030.
- SPCH 1010
- INFS 1010
- Any introductory course for your major