Student Advising Information
Step 2: Meet with an Advisor / Counselor
Meet with an advisor/counselor in the Student Success Center for a pre-advising session
Step 3: Decide on your Major
Step 4: Get Familiar with Course Requirements & Prerequisites
- Take developmental courses first
- use the catalog website to check course descriptions
- Be knowledgeable of prerequisites - a course taken prior to another course.
- Ask your advisor about course sequencing and when certain courses are offered
Step 5: Find the Curriculum for your Major
Step 6: Meet with your Advisor
Contact the secretary for the department in which the major is located to schedule an advising appointment
Academic departments and contact information
- During the advising appointment, plan the courses you will take and the order in which they will be taken
- Talk to your advisor about what you can expect with this major - areas of study
If you need further assistance, please visit or call
Admissions at 423.585.2686 or 1.800.225.4770, Extension 6.
Step 7: Schedule your First Semester Courses
Stick with the basics for your first semester
- If you had an ACT sub score of 13 or lower in English, math or reading, you MUST take EDUC 1030 in your first semester here at WSCC.
- If you needed learning support in the reading area you should take READ 0800 and SPCH 1010 in your first term.
- If you need learning support in math you can sign up for MATH 0030 along with either MATH 1530,1630 or 1030(this course is for STEM majors) or MATH 1530 or 1630 if no learning support is needed.
- If you need learning support in English and in reading you CANNOT take the English courses until you have met the reading competency requirement.
- If you did not need the learning support in reading but did need the learning support in English, you can take ENGL 0804 along with ENGL 1010 in your first term.
- If you did not need learning support in either reading or English, ENGL 1010 is a great class to take your first term.
- Social Science elective like PSYC 1030 or SOCI 1010.
- Humanities elective like ARTH 2010, 2020, MUS 1030 or THEA 1030.
- SPCH 1010
- INFS 1010